I can’t be the only one who heavily weights a restaurant’s credibility by its ranch dressing. I mean, right? Bad ranch = bad restaurant.
So for 3 years, I’ve played with a homemade recipe. I’ve toyed with low fat, fat free, whole milk, sour cream, mayo and even heavy cream. While I felt very Ree Drummind making it completely from scratch, I was severely over-complicating it. I think we’ve finally arrived at a consistently good and very easy recipe for a creamy buttermilk ranch that’s slightly less mayo-y and a little bit thicker than package directions. Yields 5 cups of gloriousness.
- 3 packets of Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 cups Duke’s Mayonnaise (you can go low fat on sour cream or buttermilk, but don’t skimp here. Your ranch will come out with an unnatural sheen and fake taste).
1. Whisk together the buttermilk and the ranch packets.
2. Whisk in the mayo and the sour cream.
3. Dip it. Pour it. Lick the bowl. Just make sure to refrigerate it in between 🙂