I am a firm believer in the perfect bite. My husband is very particular about what foods are allowed to touch on his plate. Sweet doesn’t touch meat, ice cream doesn’t touch cake, *strange* stuff like that.
I, on the other hand, will spend an inordinate amount of time cutting a small piece of everything on my plate, stacking it perfectly on the fork, dipping it in the sauce and then savoring that goodness.
Maybe that’s why this has always, always been one of my favorite dinners. The apple, the stuffing, the pork chop….mmmm, the perfect bite. My Mom and Mimi have made these pork chops for as long as I can remember and it’s been that long that I’ve loved them. They are deceivingly easy to make; meaning they look like you slaved, but they really take minimal effort! (Every cooks dream, right?!?)
- 6 Bone in Pork Chops
- I Box Stove Top Chicken Stuffing
- 5 Tbs Butter
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- 1 can Apple Pie Filling
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Make stuffing according to package directions.
2. While your stuffing is cooking, melt 2 Tbs of your butter in a heavy skillet. Brown each side of your pork chop in the butter (about 2 minutes per side).
3. Spray a cookie sheet or baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Place your browned pork chops on the cookie sheet. Leave some space between chops so you have space to pile on that glorious goodness.
4. Pile a large spoonful of stuffing on top of each chop. Pack it together the best you can so that it doesn’t dry out and crumble during baking.
5. Place 3-5 slices of apple filling on top of the stuffing.
6. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes to an hour, until an internal temperature of the pork chop is above 160. These took 45 minutes and cooked to 189 and they were perfect. Pork, to me, is not like beef. We go for well done.
If they start to brown on top before the pork is done, just loosely lay a piece of foil over the top while they continue to cook.
8. Use a heavy spatula to dish them out onto your plates. I served ours with a fresh summer salad and blackberry cobbler for dessert 🙂