So my kids love Taco Tuesday. I mean….loooooove, Taco Tuesday. I, on the other hand try to get out of it every chance I get. Maybe it’s the mundane of making the same meal on the same day every week. Maybe it’s because I’m a fajita girl at heart. Or ….maybe it’s just that I don’t like to be told what to do. Whatever the cause for my Taco Tursday disdain, I was thrilled this week when opportunity for change presented itself!
In contrast to recent weeks, this Tuesday was rainy and cold…in other words, clearly a soup day. So in order to appease both my ever-growing taco mongrals and my thrill-seeking-menu-changing self, Taco Soup happened.
I feel like everyone has a version of Taco Soup. And I’ve never had one I didn’t like. But here’s the way we make it. (By we, I mean my Mimi, my Mom and myself.) Serve it with sweet cornbread or tortilla chips and cheese. Either way it’s shamelessly easy, and ridiculously tasty.
- 2 lbs ground meat (beef, turkey or 1 of each)
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 package ranch seasoning mix
- 1 can corn (optional)
As with many soups, you have the option of simmering on a skillet or slowly warming it in a crock pot. Either one works amazingly well with this soup.
1. Brown your meat. If you’re planning to cook on the stovetop, just brown it in the pot you plan to make soup in. If you’re planning to crock pot it, brown it on the stove and then transfer it to your crockpot.
2. Add all other ingredients to your meat.
3. Mix and simmer on the stove for 45 minutes to an hour or on low in a crockpot for 6-7 hours.
4. Top it how you like (cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, sour cream, jalapeños). Serve with sweet cornbread or scoop it up with tortilla chips.
So, so easy and so good! Store in the fridge…reheated leftovers are even better!